From:
Diane Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 08:55:26 EDT
Hi All
To the question about dachshunds and ferrets: these dogs were originally
bred to hunt badgers-its possible that they may still have this trait.  If
you want to have both careful supervision or even complete separation may
be the way to go.

As for the poor infant that was bitten and the 2 ferrets that died for
it-it is my understanding that the mother has had ferrets for quite a
while.  While the article did state the the officials blamed the biting
on the smell of milk, they said nothing about the mother's negligence in
allowing this situation to come about.

Now we're going to end up back to fighting for recognition of the merits of
our fuzzies as companion animals rather than vicious beasts.

As far as unfit shelters, unfortunately, here in MI we have at least one
shelter that we tried to prevent from ever sheltering again but one of
the MI ferret groups has welcomed these people back with open arms.
Having been there once when they closed and having to see the fuzzies in
conditions so filthy made me ill.  Now it looks like there will be more
innocents having to go through the same kind of treatment.Some people
seem to like the name "shelter" and "helping" ferrets without taking the
responsiblity that goes with it.

Sorry to be so mouthy today but it really upsets me when these things
happen.

Diane J and all the critters