From:
"Mary R. Shefferman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 12:10:02 -0400
I'll try to keep this brief because several people have already made the
points that I would make on this subject.  Besides, it's off-topic.

I think Sonam Dasara explained the situation best (see yesterday's FML).
BIG's comment also explained it well.  The bottom line is that stealing
other people's intellectual property is illegal, regardless of where you
take it from -- be it a book, magazine, web site, or recording.  There
is, of course, a provision for personal use; you can make a xerox of
pages from books or magazines (or save a photo from a web site) as long
as you don't "display" it to the public as your own (or display it
without permission).  If you make money from the stolen work, the crime
is more serious.

Several years ago a person on a ferret board posted a couple of my
editorials as her own writing.  She changed a word or two.  I was
ridiculed and criticized because I was upset that this person had stolen
my writing, despite the fact that this person had committed a crime.  I
was told to be flattered.  I was told I was overreacting.  (Note: The
editorials appeared on the same page of the magazine as our copyright
statement!) If someone took your homework and handed it in as his own,
would you be miffed because you worked hard on your homework and now you
aren't even getting the credit for your hard work?  I'll bet you would
be.  Now add in the fact that many artists/writers have been honing their
art for years, have paid for schooling, have paid for computer programs
(as Sonam Dasara pointed out, those programs aren't cheap!), and have
worked hard to make a name for themselves so they can make a living
(not be rich -- just feed themselves).  Is it ok to take that person's
work?  It's not only illegal, but it's unethical.  People are outraged
if someone's homemade Halloween or Christmas decorations are stolen
from their front lawn.  How is taking someone's button (and -- more
important -- not crediting the creator for the artwork) any different?
Just because the work is not three-dimensional doesn't mean it isn't a
piece of property.  Just because a lot of people do it, does not make
it all right or make it legal (speeding is illegal even though a good
number of people speed).

--Mary & the Fuzzies

Mary R. Shefferman, Editor, Modern Ferret Magazine
Trixie, Koosh, & Gabby, The Modern Ferrets
Read my blog --
http://www.modernferretblog.com/mary