Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:34:01 -0500
The resounding answer is yes, some ferrets can recover from screaming
seizures. Case in point - Mazy went into screaming seizures. I quickly
gave her 1cc dexamethasone injection and started spreading glutose on
her gums. An hour later she was only mildly quieter so she got a 1/2cc
injection of dexamethasone. Thirty minutes later she was down to
squeaks. More glutose. Once her seizing had stopped I sub-q'd lactated
ringers and started dribbling recipe drop by drop into her mouth. Mazy
was in a semi-comma for almost 24 hours. When she came to she was blind
and walked in circles. She was continued on 0.2 dexamethasone twice
daily with frequent recipe feedings. Each day the circles widened. By
the end of the week the circles had stopped and she had regained her
sight. Mazy was with us, without incident, for 3 more months.

hugs. tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org