From:
Robert Gibson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:47:00 -0500
Hey there FML,

I have a couple of questions about mixing old and young ferrets. Let
me give you a brief background before I ask my questions.

I have owned 4 ferrets over the past decade and currently my house
princess is a tiny, 8 year old silver female named Omi. She is doing
great and is pretty active considering her age. Last week a friend
found a ferret in his backyard. I took this large male ferret to
Gainesville Ferret Rescue where they checked him out, treated him and
released him to me as his foster dad. The new ferret (still unnamed,
btw) is a very sweet male about 3 times the size of Omi and is aged
about 1 year old.

The seem to get along fine most of the time, generally Omi either
ignores him or follows him around. Of course, at Omi's age she really
does not play much at all and this is what is causing my concern.

Omi is a free range ferret, she pretty much has full run of the house.
The new ferret understands about appropriate bathroom locations and I
have been giving him more and more freedom over the past week, with
less direct observation. Omi seems to hate it when the new ferret tries
to sleep with her. She squeaks and screams at him. I have no direct
evidence that he is hurting her and I am wondering if I should have
any concerns about this at all.

Omi is a pretty spoiled little girl, I sure don't want her to feel
like she is being supplanted by this new guy, but I don't want the
new guy to feel like a second class citizen.

Well, I am wondering if these two ferrets will be able to cohabit
together? Is the squeaking and fussing normal ferret adjustment
behavior? Should I worry about my elderly Omi around this new guy?
Let me point out again that the new guy has great manners and is very
sweet. Does anyone have any hints or pointers that might help these
two ferrets fully adjust to each other's company?

Thanks for your time and any answers or help offered.

--
Robert Gibson