From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:55:29 -0400
Condolences to those with lost, sick, or angeled popcorn pickers...

(Hey!  Come back with that popcorn, ya sneak!  That's MINE!)

Just wanted to interject a comment here about selling ferrets.

As a rescue, when I respond to someone attempting to "sell" their ferret
(along with cage, supplies, etc.), I tell them right up front that I'm
offering to rescue the ferret if they can't find a home for it.  I
suggest that I be a last resort, if no one else pans out and they just
*have* to get rid of the ferret.  I also tell them that, as a rescue,
funds are limited and that I wouldn't be offering to pay for the ferret.
Instead, I would use the money for vet checks, vaccinations (if needed),
and getting them prepared for a new home.

Those that have surrendered their ferrets to me have often retained (and
eventually sold) the cage and toys to someone else to get the money they
wanted, but have accepted my offer to take in their ferret at no charge.
I can't thank these people enough for showing that, in the end, it was
the ferret they were thinking of, instead of the money.  They understood
that taking care of ferrets isn't free of costs.  They also understood
that I was going to do the best I could to help the poor little
furry-bunch, so that their life would be the best it could be (to date,
no ferret that I've adopted out has ever been returned!  :)).

Remember, though, that those that are asking for money for their ferrets
are also going to face a period of sorrow for the missing ferret(s) in
their lives.  Even if they didn't like them all of the time, there were
always times when they had fun with them.  We tend to remember some of
the fun times, as well as the bad.

To have the cage and supplies around can be a constant reminder of the
pain of separation.  Also, for them to keep these things (have you priced
a decent cage at the pet store lately???) is silly, since they no longer
have any use for them.

Including these items in the deal is not only getting rid of things that
they won't need, but is also helping the transition of the ferret, by
allowing them to remain in familiar surroundings, eating known food and
even pooping in a recognized litter box.

When added up, the total is usually much less than the price of all of
the things together: Ferret=about $100, Cage=about $100 - $200,
Food=about $25 - $30, litter box and litter, about $15, toys=about $10 -
$50, hammock/bedding=about $40.  At the very least, the cost could be
almost $300 and could end up well over $500, if they started out spoiling
their furflumpy.

Though I do think that requesting money to ensure that a ferret goes to a
good home (unless surrendering to a shelter) is a good thing, I think the
price asked should be a bit lower.  Many people will shy away from paying
$150 for a ferret, when they can wait for one being given away free.
However, if you ask $50 to $75, you may get someone who, while they
wouldn't spend a lot of money to give a ferret a new home, might be more
willing to take the risk and pay the lower amount.

There might also be another reason that people might not want to pay so
much for a ferret--the risk factor that the ferret might not fit into
*their* home, either.  Usually, the ferret is being given up because it
was destroying things, not following rules, being anti-social, or just
being unwanted.  People know this and are not always willing to take such
an expensive risk when the price is over $100.

Todd and the (opinionated, ain't he?) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!
---
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.netconex.com/toddl/page2/