From:
Fran Schreiber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 1995 01:43:31 -0400
To Dr. Williams:

After my telephone conversation with you last Monday, I thought I'd give it
one more try on trying to nurse my little girl "Chachee" a little longer
instead of putting her down.

It seems that all of a sudden, she finally gave in and decided that I was
actually trying to help her instead of hurting her.  The vets in New Jersey
are not ones to be desired as they do not know anything about ferrets (I
recently lost my vet, Dr. Lo- she must have transferred from Vet Hospitals
and cannot locate her no matter how hard I tried.)

I started to syringe feed Chachee with meat baby foods, which she took
willingly at first, but then began to vomit them up.  So I used just tiny
bits at first.  After two days of doing this I noticed that she actually
began to munch on her mixture of Totally Ferret, Purina dry cat food and
Pro-Pan for adult cats.  She didn't like it so much, but she did eat some.
So I thought to myself, well, she must eat.  After all, she refused to eat
for almost two weeks.  Her weight plummeted to less than an pound before
eating.  So I bought some Science diet (Turkey and chicken varieties) and
began the syringe feeding again.  Well, she is now eating about two teaspoons
three times a day out of her own dish with an occasional munch of her hard
food.  It took a lot of time, patience and trust on her part, but she seems
to be coming around.  She still "nips", but doesn't seem to be biting me
anymore (anyone else, look out, she'll seek and destroy until she rips
flesh.)  So now I am convinced that she either was very sick physically or
just messed up mentally.  After her first season, I plan on spaying her just
in case there is that short circuitry in the brain and I do not want to pass
it on to other kits in her line.

Just thought I would keep her updated.  However, you never know, I might
still lose her, but hopefully she will get all better and live a long and
healthy life.  I'll let you know later.

Fuzzy kisses to you and your concern.

Fran Schreiber
Chachee's, Choochee's and Chip's Mom