From:
"William A. Killian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 00:58:16 -0500
>From:    alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Marshall, forums, and rights
>Please, by definition, the AFA is an organization, not a forum.  By
>definition, this list is a forum, not an organization.

No, the FML is a mail list.  The AFA is an organization and its AFR
(American Ferret Report) is a newsletter that with its letters pages is
certainly a "forum".  Since the AFR goes out to all subscribers it has a
larger readership than the FML.

>Be careful about getting anal retentive towards someone with years more
>experience<G>.

So how old are diane and bil that you know you are older?

>Now that you bring it up though, I was made aware that breeders within the
>AFA association feel they have good reason to resist MF's attempts at
>persuasion as reported in a personal email reminding me emphatically that
>you do not speak for the AFA.

You are correct we do not speak for the AFA.  You need to make sure that you
do not confuse the opinions of any breeder or group of breeders as the
opinion of the AFA.  As an AFA licensed judge bill is required to know all
of the AFA "position papers".  None have come out about Marshall Farms so
the AFA does not have an opinion on this issue.  If we state an opinion that
we are attributing to the AFA we will very clearly make that known.

>I am not aware of another ferret-list that is as evenly and consistently
>moderated.

We can't think of any that aren't.  Regional and international.  Though
since we don't read French we can not evaulate the French list fairly.
There are several lists that are completely unmoderated.

>From:    alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MF discussion can be constructive if we decide to get involved and
>         stay cool.
>
>As I said before, it would be a conservative statement to say 50% of the
>list's members own at least one MF ferret.  If this is a hostile base,
>and MF feels they have nothing to hide, than they have *every* reason
>TO participate and correct the situation.

You have stated why this is a hostile forum to them.  You have stated with a
certainty that there is a problem that can be fixed.  They are already on
the defensive to even respond to your comments.

>Most politicians and businesses recognize this and usually immediately
>respond to the "upset" group and extend an open hand.

Not in our experiences.  We thought most people thought of politicians as
evasive.  We thought most companies were rather slow to acknowledge
liabilities especially in the suit happy US.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
mailto:[log in to unmask]  mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.zenferret.com/