From:
"Mary L. McCarty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 17:32:03 -0500
Hi Folks,

For those of you interested in my wheezing ferret, St Nicholas Bear, that I
wrote about last week.......

His wheeze/cough got worse so I took him in for an xray on Saturday.  The
vet found 3 big metasized (sp?) tumors around his heart in addition to the
mass in his abdomen.  This is something that can seem like cardiomyopethy,
but is really lymphosarcoma.  She said surgery (anethesia) would probably
kill him.This was seconded by the vet at our other shelter branch.

So, surgery was canceled.  My vet mentioned trying chemo drugs, but she
hadn't had much success with them.  Also that if he got worse, we could put
him on prednisone.

Nicholas is very strong, eats and poops normally and doesn't seem sick at
all (except for that darn cough/wheeze).  Since he seems so healthy, I would
like to do anything I can to make sure he has a fighting chance - he'll only
be 3 years old on March 25, 1998.

My only problem with poor Nicholas is that he is whole and in rut....so he
can't really play with any other ferrets and he smells a bit......but I
still give him kisses and hugs.  He's a sweetheart.

Any help would be appreciated if anyone has experience with terminal
lymphosarcoma (I've read the FAQ already).  Thanks!

Mary and the gang of 14....

Mary McCarty-Houser
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
Director, Centre County Branch