From:
Leigh Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 07:06:50 EDT
>>The reason we gave Mister away wasn't really because he wasn't getting
>>enough attention, it was because he was a horrible mess... his long hair
>>would get poop stuck to it, and then the poop would get smeared all over
>>the house.  Lovely, hmm?

>You can't take a little poop and you want a ferret?  Maybe you should get
>a beanie baby.  >>

I really don't mean to be nasty or cruel, but I think this reply is right
on base.  I just want to make the point that if poop being smeared on the
house is a problem a ferret might not be the best pet for you.  While it is
true that ferrets can be litter trained quite well, in our experience this
litter training is not always 100%.  In other words I would not bet good
money that any ferret you get is not occasionally going to poop on the
floor.

We love our ferrets dearly, but we realize that we have made a sacrifice in
that every now and then we have to get down on hands and knees with carpet
cleaner and scrub.  It can't possibly be sanitary and it makes my mom
cringe when she visits, but we just put up with it.

Maybe you have done this, but I would go visit someone who has a ferret or
two.  Talk to them about ferret hygeine and look in the corners of their
ferret room to see what's there.  The reason people might give you a hard
time about your comments was that a lot of people on this list run or work
with shelters and they see so many ferrets who are given up to shelters for
just the reasons you say you gave your cat up.

If you do decide to get a ferret please stay with the list.  It can be very
helpful for all sorts of training and health issues, and funny stories.

Best Wishes,
Leigh