Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:04:34 -0400
Hello to all weasels and their humans,

3 of our ferrets have been showing serious signs of adrenal and after
reading up on Melatonin, we decided to try doing Melatonin pills.  Its
been around two months that they each have been getting 2 mg per day.
At first, we saw some instant improvement, especially with the female,
Nugget.  Her vulva shrank back down to normal, she gained some weight
and got her hair back (she didnt have as much missing to start with,
compared with the boys).  Chunky and Farty seemed to be started to grow
some hair back and they gained weight (which was good for Chunky because
he was getting a little thin), but now, more than ever, it seems that
they are getting worse.

I am wondering if there are any other alternatives at this point than
surgery.  Have I been giving the pills long enough to see a difference?
Is there maybe something about Melatonin not working as well in males?
Is it possible that although they arent growing the hair back, they may
be getting better?  If so, how do you tell?  I believe that they're both
good candidates for surgery, but when are they too old?  (Farty is a
little over 3 1/2 years and Chunky is a tad over 4 years old.) I just
dont know what is best for my boys at this point.  I hate seeing them
get balder.

Thanks for any input.

Becky and Heather and the Magnificent Seven--Bob, Chunky, Nugget,
Farty, Digger, Weasie and Holly Berry The Christmas Ferret

Missing Ally, Sleepy, Peanut, Mialey, Egan, George and Abigail von
Girlie, the Original Christmas Ferret.