Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 1995 01:48:32 -0500
I figured with the new CA Legalization Bill almost beginning, it was time to
inform the public what our policies are during all this.....

CDFA MISSION STATEMENT

   JUNE 20, 1994-The California Domestic Ferret Association's (CDFA) primary
goal is to prevent the unnecessary and inhumane killing or abuse of the
domestic ferret (mustela putorius furo) by anyone, including the State of
California. To that end, CDFA has obtained a 'clearing house' permit from the
Department of Fish & Game to transport confiscated or stray ferrets safely
out of state. CDFA is also organizing a four state rescue program for
domestic ferrets seized at the sixteen Department of Agriculture inspection
stations.
 In addition, due to the institutional abuse of this pet in California, the
impediments to proper veterinary care, and lack of information about the
ferret's general needs-resulting in both intentional and unintentional
harm-CDFA is fully committed to overturning Fish & Game's ban on the domestic
ferret. No edict by a state agency can determine which domestic pet best
suits a family's home. This is borne out by the public's widespread disregard
for this questionable ban as evidenced by the hundreds of thousands of
domestic ferrets currently in this state. This animal deserves the same legal
status and protection that all other domestic pets share.
 CDFA neither condones nor supports any behavior or conduct which may
undermine these goals. Only approved CDFA members or persons designated by
CDFA may receive pet ferrets for transport out of state. Under no
circumstances will any threat to our clearing house permit be tolerated.
 CDFA unequivocally condemns any abusive behavior, name-calling, personal
attacks, or harassment of any member of the California State Legislature, or
anyone opposed to the legalization of the domestic ferret. Evidence that
domestic animals fall outside the jurisdiction of Fish & Game, as well as the
overwhelmingly positive information on the domestic pet ferret, must be our
only tools of persuasion.
 Anyone not complying with the terms of the CDFA permit, or behaving in a
rude or aggressive manner toward anyone on the issue of legalization of these
animals does not speak for or represent CDFA, its members, or its philosophy.
CDFA believes in an enlightened democratic process based on the open exchange
of opposing points of view. CDFA therefore wholly and without reservation
condemns any interference with this process by anyone incapable of adhering
to these principles.

Bill Phillips
Executive Director

Jeanne Carley
Assistant Director

Hildy Langewis
Membership Director

Kevin Quosig
Public Relations Director

Feel free to reproduce this text IN ITS ENTIRETY--DO NOT EDIT.

For CDFA membership information, call (510) 886-4210.