Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:08:17 -0400
Hi,

After reading the cruel way (& this is an understatement) that Pet
Supermarket treated Hope & other ferrets in their care, I decided to
check out the one in my area.  Unfortunately, they were closed when I
got there.  I will be going back though.

So we stopped at the local Pet Co.  To tell you the truth, for the most
part I was pleasantly surprised.  As some of the other stores I have been
in were to say the least a disgrace.  They had a hammock, a blanket & a
couple toys to play with.  Unfortunately, there was not a litter box in
the cage, but it was spotless (I would love to know how they did this with
6 ferrets, my 2 have to crisen (sp?) a clean litter box instantly!) & odor
free.  The ferrets were all very friendly & didn't even try to nip, like
the were frequently handled & played with.  The employees were very
knowledgeable (I was playing stupid) & actually recommended that I do a
little research & purchase Ferrets for Dummies.  They told me that they
had been taking one of the babies to the Vet because she was getting
longer but not filling out.  The Vet had even given her steroid
injections, but is starting to think that maybe it is juvenile
insulinomia.

I was not happy with the type of cage they were in.  It was a smaller
octagon cage than what most store use, but it was probably 3-4 ft tall,
not including the stand.  The only openings were 2 solid, I guess
Plexiglas, doors.  There was a small gap around the doors, that was all
the ventilation I saw.  However,I was only there about 10 minutes.  A
customer told me that someone had just hit my car & drove off.  So I had
to go file a police report.

I just can not believe people's attitudes anymore.  They do not respect
you or your property.  They act like just because animals can not speak
that they also can not feel pain.  What is the world coming to?!  I really
enjoy being part of this list.  Except for a few squabbles you truly are
caring people that come together in a crisis.

Oh, one other thing.  I overheard a couple employees talking about having
to take a feeder rat to the vet.  She said that someone had brought the
rat back because it was too big for their snake.  They figured this out
after they had to remove the poor rat from the snake's mouth.  Now the
rat's face was crushed.  She was pretty upset about the situation.  She
said that she told the people not to come back.

OK, I'll shut up now.
Alexis