From:
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:37:30 EST
Hi all, Well the New Year has brought only 10 ferrets to the shelter so
far.  for some reason many biters!  But I do have one little marked white
male.  He came from a local petstore, the woman had him only one month,
she was moving and had to gove up Snowball the baby and Lady a 1 yr old
sable.

When I got to the house Snow was sleeping in the cage, no litter box, no
food, no hammy.  It took us 20 minutes to get Lady out of the couch.  On
the way home she beat the baby up and I realized that she really didn't
like the little guy.  So I seperated them, he was wailing away and if you
touched him he cried.  Lady found a loving home yestrday but I still have
the baby.

He had something sticky on his head like gum, after a bath he cleaned up
nice and is very handsome, head still a little sticky.  He has no tats and
the petstore he came from gets Canadian ferrets, not sure from which farm.
She had him one month, I am estimating his age at 10 weeks.  His teeth are
very small, very short whiskers, large body, very smalll paws.  He is not
crying as much now but he wants to nurse.  If I'm correct about his age,
which I'm real close.  He must have been weened at around 4-5 weeks.  so
how do I give him the satisfaction of nursing?  He will shred a bottle,
and what do I use for a formula.  I'm going to buy weaning formula today
and try a heavy plastic dropper, but any other help would be great.  When
you hold him he sucks on your finger and tries to nurse, when he doesn't
get anything he bites and screams his head off.  He bit my friend pretty
good the other day.

Should I do nothing and see if he gets over it.  He is so sweet and
beautiful, I want him to be ok so he can find a wonderful forever home.
Hes eating hard food and I also give him mush but he still wants to nurse.
He goes to the vet tomorrow for his distemper vax and a check up.  i don't
get in very many kits and have never come across this problem.

Thanks for your time and hope to see you in Vegas in Feburary!

CJ
24 Carat Ferret Rescue And Shelter
"where ferrets are treated like gold"