From:
ROCHELLE NEWMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1993 12:25:49 -0400
I just got my second ferret Monday, and we have been slowly introducing the
two.  Our older one is a bit past 2 1/2 years, and hasn't been with another
ferret since we got her from the GCFA over 2 years ago -- she's also a lot
smaller than our new one.  When we first brought him home, she hid in a corner
of her house (a little carpet and wood structure with small holes for access)
and shivered -- if he came in to see her, she acted as if she'd been backed in
a corner (which, I suppose, she had) and bit.  Hard.  And generally tried for
the nose or ear.  She's easing off now.  But yesterday they had a little play
fight (at least, I hope it was playing!?) and she ended up on top of him, and
started grooming his neck and behind his ears.  I don't think it was meant as
a pleasurable grooming -- she kept hissing throughout it, and Fezzik just lay
there, as if he had no choice in the matter (like when you pick up a ferret by
the scruff of the neck).  She continued for a few minutes, and then let him go,
after which he was *VERY* subdued....   I assume this is some sort of dominance
/pecking order ritual, but was wondering if anyone else knew how long this sort
of thing is going to continue.... We aren't letting them together yet except
when we're around to watch them, but as there's a limit to how long we can
spend in there with them each day, we'd like to be able to end the constant
supervision ASAP!

-Roche (and Shadow and Fezzik)