From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 15:53:28 -0400
Q: "At Las Vegas [Ferrets 2002] I heard you say you thought colloidial
silver was a complete waste of time!  Why don't you like alternative
treatments?

A: I have nothing against alternative treatments that are effective and
proved safe.  However, I've been against the use of colloidal silver for
quite some time, for several reasons, the least of which is that there is
absolutely ZERO research that proves it is even marginally effective.
Oh, I've seen LOTS of claims, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has been published
that even comes close to supporting the claims of the merchants.

My other problem is actually more paramount in my mind.  Did you know
that penicillin was discovered in 1928, was used extensively, in great
quantities, for the next twenty years, and by 1948 half of the bacterial
species it was used against had developed resistant strains?  Today, it is
only minimally effective, and we have had to invent new, more toxic drugs
to do the same thing.  The reason for this was the indiscriminate use--and
abuse--of this wondrous discovery by people who never understood that
bacteria were subject to the laws of natural selection.  If creationists
refuse to believe in evolution, I hope they never get infected by a
"flesh-eating" bacteria and only have penicillin to get them by....

The point is, we create our own monsters through the indiscriminate use
of antibiotics.  They should NEVER be used EXCEPT with the complete
supervision of a qualified vet who is in direct care of the sick animal.
You can take it that I dislike the use of prophylactic antibiotics except
under rigidly defined, controlled circumstances, such as prior to surgery
with immune-compromized patients.  IF colloidal silver was in that group
of substances that acted like an antibiotic, then it should be controlled
like one as well.  If it was effective, the last thing we need is to feed
colloidal silver prophylactically to ferrets and possibly create a super
bug that could not only kill our ferrets, but cross over to humans as
well.  That is irresponsible and immoral, and I don't care if saves dozens
of ferret's lives.  If there is one chance in a billion that a bacteria
could evolve protection against CS and become a dangerous pathogen, then
indiscriminate, prophylactic use is criminal.

But the truth is, I don't think colloidal silver belongs in such a group.
I DO consider it dangerous because I fear it can delay real treatment, it
provides a false sense of hope to users, and it may have inhibiting
qualities to good bacteria and body cells, or damage them as much (or
worse) than the bugs the substance is attempting to kill.  Still, without
supporting evidence, I guess my opinion is just the same as that of people
who support using colloidal silver.