Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 08:08:23 -0500
Well I thought that I would let you all know what happened this week with
Skippy's Insolinoma I got her a new bottle of medicine about two weeks ago
and she started shaking her head when she took it.  Well I didn't think to
much about it knowing that she never had a problem with it before.  I think
they mixed it a little different this time and the cherry flavor wasn't
covering it up.  Well about last Saturday I left them out all day and
sometimes they forget to eat if I don't wake them and push them towards
their bowl but Skippy refused to eat.  So I thought that if I kept them
in their cage that night she might eat.  No good.

Well since she seems to stop eating about twice a year it seems I went
through my routine of what it could have been.  Unfortunately after about
4 days I came to realize that it had to be the medicine so I called the
Pharmacy to see if I could get a new mixture.

I really had a hard time giving skippy her medicine and and made up some
soft food that I had to force feed her.  Unfortunately Thursday night she
had a seizure.  On friday at lunch I stopped home to get her medicine to
go the Pharmacy and she was just starting a seizure so I quickly got her
out of it and went to plead with the pharmacy.

The pharmacist that I go to for this is absolutely wonderful.  I was told
that after awhile the ferrets get used to the taste and can start to taste
the prednizone so it would be useless to try to remix it.  She thought
about chocolate called the vet and mixed some up for me and had me try it.
I just put the tip of my pinky in it and to tell you I wouldn't take it
either so that option was out.  She thought about it for a little bit then
said I wonder if I can make up something to rub in her ear.  She called
someplace to get the recipe and then called the vet to make sure he ok'd it.

I came home and put it in her ear and I'll be she started eating again
about 4 hours later.  She even ate last night.  It's so much easier to put
this in her ear than to think that everytime she took it orally it could be
hurting her stomach.  Well this morning she's running around like the old
skippy.

I wanted to tell you all this just in case you are having a hard time with
your ferrets.  This is so much easier and less stressful.  Of course I've
only been doing it a few days but so far I'm hopeful.

I'll keep you informed.
Cherri and the fiends.