From:
David Gonsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1993 11:05:23 -0400
Hi Everyone,
        This is my first posting to the FML.  My name is David and I am the
proud owner of Freddy, one of the most pesky ferrets I've ever seen.  He
climbs, he jumps, he likes to play inside articles of clothing (on the
wearer)... but wait there's more.  He also likes to drink out of my glasses
(usually tipping them) and doesn't like the typical "ferret toys".  I love
Freddy dearly and that is why I am posting.
         I have two main questions. Firstly, Freddy loves to walk right by my
feet.  It has come to the point where I must slide my feet across the floor
to avoid kicking him.  What can I do to get him to keep a safe distance?
Secondly, Freddy is a chewer.  He is now 11 months but still loves to chew
rags or just about anything he can sink his teeth into.  I finally bought him
a lambskin bed, which helped, but is there anything I can do to stop his
incessant chewing, or will this be a lifelong thing.  I guess I can handle it
either way since my apartment is pretty well ferretproofed (from floor to top
of bed--the little climber), but it would be great to hear any suggestions.
        Additionally, are there any creative toy suggestions?  He likes paper
and plastic bags, dog squeek toys(which I have to watch him with), a new rope
toy for dogs I bought him, and a little soft cat mouse (again I must watch
him).  I tried ping pong and wiffle balls, but he doesn't really like them.
I feel like he needs more toys (especially safe ones) because he's always
looking for something to do.  Which brings me to my final point.  I'm
thinking about getting another ferret, hopefully an albino female. If I do
(assuming they get along), will they play together and explore (i.e. cause
trouble) less, or will I have two jumpers, climbers, etc?
        Any suggestions would be great,
                David (and Freddy!)