From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 10:32:35 -0500
=== Where to find a shelter or breeder? ===
Lots of folks have been asking this.  Again, one of the best sources
is the STAR*Ferrets database.  See Section 1.2 of the FAQ for more info.

=== What is Petromalt, and do I need to use it? ===
I don't know how the different versions compare, but Petromalt (for cats,
anyway) is pretty much just flavored Vaseline, and you ought to be able to
use Vaseline instead if your ferrets will eat it.  It's a good idea to give
them some regularly, at least during shedding season, since they're not as
good at coughing up hairballs as cats are -- once your ferret has a
hairball, it may be too late for Petromalt or Vaseline to help.

=== Ferret hunting? ===
>I recently read a book about sighthounds, and it stated that some
>breeds are useful in ferret hunting.

I suspect the authors meant that the dogs are used together with ferrets,
not hunting the ferrets themselves.  I picture the ferrets flushing the prey
from holes too small for the dogs to enter, and the dogs catching it at the
other end of the burrow (rather than a human holding a net).  Either that,
or they meant hunting BFFs, in which case the book must have been pretty old.

--
- Pam Greene in Rochester, NY
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>