Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:38:26 -0500
Mornin' All,

I have read the recent posts about rabies vaccinations and tags and will try
to clarify a few misconceptions.

Rabies tags first:
How and where you get your rabies tags depends on your state regulations as
well as the individual county regulations.  For instance, I work for my vet
in Fulton County, GA however, I live in Forsyth County, GA.  In this case,
when I take any of my critters to the office with me for yearly boosters, I
get the rabies tag when I get the rabies certificate.  On the other hand, if
I lived in Fulton County I would have to send a form and the appropriate fee
to Fulton County Animal Control and the tag would then be sent to me.  If
there is confusion as to where to get the rabies tag, the Animal Control
Office or Health Department for YOUR county of residence should be able to
tell you how to acquire the rabies tag.

Rabies vaccination:
There IS a rabies vaccination which has been tested and labeled specifically
for ferrets - Imrab-3.  If any veterinarian has a question about this or
doubts that it exists they should consult the Compendium of Animal Rabies
Control.  The Compendium is broken up into 3 parts.  Part 1 discusses
recommendations for immunization procedures.  Part 2 is a list of all rabies
vaccines marketed in the US and the NASPHV (National Association of State
Public Health Veterinarians, Inc.) recommendations.  Part 3 addresses rabies
control.  This report is reviewed and updated yearly (usually in October
when the NASPHV committee meets), and it is easy to obtain a copy.  I've
been getting each new edition for the past few years from the JAVMA (Journal
of the American Veterinary Medical Association).  This year it was in the
January 1, 1997, Volume 210, Number 1 edition, pages 33-37.  If your
veterinarian does not subscribe to this magazine, the report can usually be
obtained from your county health department or the state health department.
This is a readily available document and there is NO excuse for any vet who
treats ferrets to not have a copy or, at the very least, be aware of the
availability of the vaccine.

For what it's worth, I feel that ferret owners should at least know what the
local regulations are regarding their ferrets and the required vaccinations.
It seems that all of us, as ferret owners/caretakers, must be well-versed in
ferret health and vaccination requirements - much more so than the average
dog or cat owner.  Please, for the sake of your ferret's health & well-being,
be an EDUCATED pet owner - now knowing could cost him or her their life!

Jan M. Lovell - Secretary
Georgia Domestic Ferret Association, Inc - Founded in 1989
Dedicated to a Better Life for Domestic Ferrets Through Knowledge and
Understanding
770-442-5917