Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 00:08:57 EST
Dear ferret fans:

We thought you might be able to help us spread the word regarding the use
of ferrets in endotracheal intubation (ETI) training.

Recently, we received calls from a number of employees at St.  Margaret
Mercy Healthcare Hospital in Hammond, Indiana who were extremely upset
at being forced to practice intubation on ferrets.  According to the
complainants, those who took the class were brought "to the point of tears
and trauma after these sessions."  They also told us that the animals had
to be destroyed because they were "so maimed" they could not survive.

Because the nurses of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) refused to
experiment on the ferrets, they were reportedly allowed to learn intubation
in the emergency room.  However, the respiratory therapists are still being
forced to experiment on ferrets even though they will eventually learn to
practice intubation in the emergency room as well.

We wrote the hospital as did the Physicians Committee for Responsible
Medicine and asked them to use advanced patient simulators in place of
ferrets.  Human patient simulators mirror human anatomy, can be used
repeatedly, and cost less than ferrets.

To date the hospital has ignored our letters and calls.

Please spread the word to the ferret community & ask them to write letters
of protest to:

Gene Diamond
President
St. Margaret Mercy Healthcare