From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:28:29 -0500
Hi Alicia

Wecome to the wonderful world of being a ferret mom!

COLOR
>I've realzed he is a mitt, as he has the white bib and four white feet..his
>color is white or light ceam underneath ...

It sounds as though your boy is a silver mitt, "silver" being his color and
"mitt" being his pattern.

BITING
>Now for behavior problems I can't solve.  The most annoying is his tendency
>to grab at your nose and bite hard enough to hang off it if allowed to.

Many ferrets love to nip fingers, toes, and noses, and they need to be
socialized (i.e. taught not to do this).  First, I would recommend not
putting him by your nose.  I know that sounds sorta obvious, but some
ferrets are incorrigable nose biters!  They just can resist.  As for
training him not to nip, try putting Bitter Apple spray (available in the
dog training aisle of most pet stores) on your nose, fingers, toes, and
anything else that this little guy chooses to nip.  The bad taste is usually
a really good deterrent.

I know that you have not had success yet with scruffing, but it usually does
work well as a punishment- make sure that you grasp your little guy gently
but firmly by the back of the neck and hold him until he goes limp and
relaxes.  _Don't_ try to do this while he is hanging from your nose, but
rather remove him from your nose first and then scruff him as punishment.
Alternatively, I have had great success with biting my guys back on the
scruff rather than scruffing them with my hand.  Sounds crazy, but it worked
for me!  As for removing your ferret from your nose, try holding your finger
over his nostrils- that will cause him to release his grip.

LITTER DIGGING AND LITTER BRAND
To prevent digging in the newly changed litter pan, leave a little dirty
litter in the pan- just enough to be a reminder.  Most ferrets won't dig in
dirty litter.  Please, please do not use clumping litter.  It can be very
dangerous as it will clump in his nose, eyes, and lungs.  If he ingests it
(accidentally or on purpose) it can clump in his stomach and intestines.
Either way, the results can be fatal.  You can purchase basic clay litters
in the grocery store if you can't find anything else (look for non-scented).
I don't prefer them though since they are dusty and don't mask odor well.  I
prefer pelleted litter- look for Nature's Way Feline Pine, Pine Fresh,
Yesterday's News or others.  A less expensive alternative (my favorite) is
pelleted wood stove fuel (look for Stove Chow or a similar brand at a
hardware or home store).

NEW BABY AND BUNNY PLAYMATE
It is very unlikely that Fidgit will be jealous of your new baby.  Just be
sure to give him plenty of love and attention too.  You are smart to realize
that he should not be left unsupervised with your baby- not just for the
baby's safety, but also for the ferret's!  Please do be sure to give Fidgit
plenty of running and playing time out of his cage, though.  I would
recommend setting up a room where you can put him and close the door.  Just
make sure that you visit him and play with him.  Alternatively, you might
let him out to roam the apartment when the baby is sleeping and shut the
baby in his/her room.

As for the bunny- Uh, they are probably not destined to be playmates.  Many
ferrets (like cats) would view birds, bunnies, mice, rats, amphibians, and
reptiles as prey.  Your poor bunny is probably terrified.  I would recommend
keeping them separate to avoid a potentially ugly scene.

Best wishes,
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets
[log in to unmask] (home-preferred) or [log in to unmask] (work)