From:
Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:30:26 -0500
Hi everyone,

A while ago I posted about the abscess on Lola's vulva. Since then it
has gotten much worse. I had her in to the vet today, and my vet, who
has been competently treating ferrets for years, said she has never
seen anything like it. It's grown huge to the point where it interferes
with her walking, and the skin over it is split open and bleeds,
needing constant cleaning. The vet honestly didn't know what to do
about it, but did say if anything like infection happens (we already
put Lola through a course of Clavamox) we'd be looking at euthanasia
relatively soon. She said she could at least incise into the growth and
see if she could debulk it, and right now that's what I'm considering.
I'm a complete wreck. I'm in a constant state of worry over Lola, but
I can't just have her put down. I can't. She doesn't seem to be
suffering, she eats, drinks, poops and pees, runs around as well as
she can and loves to cuddle and give kisses. The vet agreed that, all
things considered, she's in great spirits. She will be nine years old
this spring, and has been with me for eight of those years. I love her
so much. What do I do? My vet said I could bring her to Tufts (we're in
western MA), but to be completely frank I don't think I could afford
it. Has anyone else been through something like this? How do you even
handle it? I'll keep everyone posted.

Rachel, Lola, and Pukka