From:
Tina Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:14:08 -0600
I used to run the Oklahoma Ferret Rescue in Tulsa, OK.  I still get
calls, requests, etc.  .that I pass along or help out where I can.  Today
I've gotten some very distressing calls from EMPLOYEES of a pet store
here in Tulsa called PET MART on 69th & Lewis.  He has gotten in 40
ferrets today.  He purchased them for 1800.00 from Peterson farms.  Some
of them appear to be so young they cannot even walk on their own and are
trying to suckle.  He has them housed in the following situation:

10 in a 55 gallon reptile tank
10 in a 40 gallon reptile tank
And 1 adult in a 10 gallon reptile tank

He has basically said this is the he is going to run his business and
it's no one else's business.  Apparently - Sam - at our SPCA here isn't
inclined to care about the housing of the animals in pet stores.

Where else do I turn and what can I do to put a stop to this.

Ferrets aren't the only animals improperly housed..  But my battle is for
the babies....

I would like the weight of the world to come down on this guy if possible
to make him STOP this.

Thanks!

Tina