From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 22:12:23 -0500
to:    Ferret Smith <>
Subject: Fleas

fleas are nasty because ferrets are so low to the ground that they just
become natural flea pickeruppers.

1.  May I suggest using Dr. Bonner's Peppermint soap - my ferrets just love
it and peppermint is a natural flea repellent.  It is safe enough to drink!
 Wash the ferret laundry in the peppermint soap to inhibit fleas too!

2.  Vacuumm every other day and use flea powder the first time to suck up and
kill the fleas IN the vaccuum cleaner.

3.  Do NOT use flea control collars on ferrets.  Safe to wear around the
neck, but not when chewed upon!!!

4.  Remove as much carpeting from the ferret play area as possible.  fleas
love to hide in carpet, furniture, etc. so son't forget to treat these areas.

5.  Use a very fine metal toothed flea comb and comb the ferrets daily,
dipping the fleas from the comb in a dish/glass of soap solution.  soap kills
fleas.

Good Luck!