From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 18:50:53 -0500
Sam's poem on the Spokane ferrets needs to be PLASTERED on the news, in
newspapers and used in court if possible.  Well done.

Dauschunds (I can never spell it - from here on in its "doxie").
Different dog breeds have different levels of prey drive.  Within each breed
the individual dogs have different levels of prey drive.  I would say from
experience with my sisters doxies that doxies have pretty high prey drives.
That's not to say that some don't have low drive, I'm sure there are doxies
that can and do coexist with ferrets - but the chances of finding those
individuals with the doxie breed are less than with some other breeds of
dogs.  Doxie lines from Germany probably have generally higher prey drives
than American lines.  American lines bred for conformation vs.  titled Earth
dog champions probably have a better chance of being lower drive.  Sorry
that what this amounts to is "it depends on the individual dog".  My sisters
current doxie from a not so good type breeder is very high prey drive and
though I love him (what a character!) I wouldn't trust him around my ferrets
for a second.  If you must, pick the puppy that seems the most laid back and
happy/playful not bothered by much, and try not to let the ferrets bully it
too much.  JMHO

Mary