From:
Stephanie Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:38:05 -0700
I've previously discussed some common human diseases that are transmitted
from domesticated ferrets.  Now, I have done lots of research on
illnesses that are transferred from human to ferret.  While most of
these can be treated, no one has discovered a cure for these ailments.
Fortunately, these diseases just make our ferrets more special to us.

1)  "Nippinlickin Fever"

CAUSES: All ferrets are susceptible to this disease.  Contact with human
skin (normally on the feet and face), triggers this illness.

SYMPTOMS: Constant licking and/or nipping of exposed human skin.  Nipping
usually ceases with one-on-one therapy with humans.  Licking will
continue.

TREATMENT: While no complete cure is available for this ailment, a ferret
can live a full and happy life while afflicted.  Toxins in human skin are
not life threatening to ferret (many of them have developed immunities).

2)  "Dancerhop Virus"

CAUSES: This virus is stimulated by physical human contact.  Usually
occurs after human holds, cuddles, or shows other affection for the
ferret.  Virus can worsen when in the company of other ferrets.

SYMPTOMS: Springy hind-quarters.  Ferrets usually bounce, twist, and/or
roll when afflicted.  Some ferrets emit vocal sounds.  Fights among
ferrets usually occur at instigation of infected.

TREATMENT: Treatment and exercise.  Usually ferrets will suppress the
symptoms upon tiring.  Symptoms will reoccur frequently.

3)  "Groomer's Infection"

CAUSES: Contact with human hair and faces normally triggers this ailment.
Only occurs in a select number of ferrets.  Not all ferrets will be
affected.

SYMPTOMS:  Combing, licking, and/or nibbling of faces and hair.

TREATMENT: Normally, ferrets will end this behavior on their own.
Symptoms usually reoccur (and can be very therapeutic for humans).

If you have found other diseases that humans transmit to their ferrets,
please share them.

Stephanie Gilbert * TriFL VP/Events Chair/Librarian * work: 919-962-1355
* http://www.trifl.org * http://www.ferretsanctuary.com