From:
Sir Simon Milligan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 10:42:39 -0500
Hi all, been awhile since I last posted but anyway, I've been catching
several posts over the last few months that have mentioned putting ferts in
their cages for various reasons.  Whether it be a disciplinary action such
as a time out, or as a safety precaution such as when you have to mop the
floor (great post yesterday, Karla--you got me thinking), whenever I put my
little guys in their cage, I make it known if it's for discipline or if
it's for their own good.  With a time out, I just put them (usually just
Betty--she tends to bite a lot) on their hammock and close the cage.  If
it's for their own good (such as when I have to vacuum the floor in their
room--Chopper turns into the mighty defender of his room by trying to bite
the vacuum cleaner), I let them know that they haven't done anything wrong
by giving them treats like a raisin or a lick of ferretone.  They seem to
get the picture, as they're a little more mellow and put up with "the cage"
if I give them treats.  (maybe it's just the treats, who knows?)

Just an observation that I've made about people who post on the list about
cage time--there seems to have been no mention about this in the past, and
if it helps, cool.  If it's redundant, then okay, look at it as a refresher
course.

Dooks to all,
Chris, slave of weasel