From:
Dee McNally <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 1996 08:30:02 -0500
I have a serious problem going on here.

I haven't been posting anything of late due to medical problems, and the
fact that I have been spending more and more time eyeballing Roxana.  So far
this is the list of what she has eaten, besides her food, until several days
ago:

  1 rubber band
  1 shoestring
  1/4 of a t-shirt given to her to sleep in/on. =20

I have no idea where she got the first two items; but after the t-shirt
incident, I called a ferret shelter in Champaign, IL.  and among the items
she recommended was a thick sweatshirt.  I tried that.  The first one was
just fine.  The second one, however, had a hole about the size of her head
in it.  (I'm thinking she couldn't get in the shirt, so she ate her way in!)

I am almost positive she has digested this, since I can't find any material
like that lieing around anywhere.  I gave her some Petromalt type stuff (
not Petromalt, but works just as well) and I am watching her to see what
happens.  So here are my questions:

1) What in the world can I line her bed with now?  Among the list given me
was a baby quilt, but she is literally chewing through everything, I could
just see her tearing through that and eating a mouthful of cotton.

2) I recently purchased Aspen litter for Roxana.  It seems that someone
mentioned it here a while back (several months) and I was wondering if I
could get some more information.  I can't have her in the litter I use for
Alexander (cat litter, dustless, odorless) since he is separated from the
bottom of his pan and she is not.  I had used the pine litter for a while
since she was a baby and only used enough for her two favorite pooping
corners.  But she is getting older now, and kicking it around more than
before.  The lady at the pet store, who has ferrets, said that she uses this
Aspen for her chinchillas and she likes it because if they swallow it, it
just passes straight through.  She keeps her ferrets in the pine.  (No, I am
not comparing my ferrets to chinchillas, just relaying what she told me)

Well, I guess that is it.  It seems like there was something else to say,
but I can't remember what it was.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know
something.  I put another sweatshirt in her cage, but this time I cut off
the sleeves and cut in half from front to back.  That way she has a actual
blanket, not a sweatshirt.  Hopefully, this will deter her a little.  Just
have to check the shirt for holes several times a day.