From:
"Robbin Huls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1989 12:53:18 -0500
First of all, thanks for the back issues.  I can't wait to dig in,
but I only have access at work and pretty much only have time to read
while I'm waiting for something to compile.  Is there an index for
the mailing list?  I'm planning on compiling one as I catch up, so if
you don't have one, I'll send it when I'm done.

[No, there's no index.  Was never particularly sure that this mailing
list would fly well enough to deserve one....  If you compile one, please
send it - I'll repost.]

Now, on to the real reason for this note.  I had both of my ferrets
innoculated for rabies.  The vet gave them cat vaccines without question
(I'm currently looking for a ferret vet in the Rochester area - anyone
know of a good one?) and I didn't have any idea of the possible problems
until I started on the mailing list.  Luckily, neither of them had any
problem with it - in fact, the cat had more problems...she slept for two
days after her innoculation.

[Um, it appears that using the "wrong" vaccine isn't 100% or probably even
1% likely to result in rabies in a ferret, it's just that the risk is *higher*
with the wrong one.  One of the items I read said that of the handful of
rabies cases that it knew of, at least some of them were as a result of
the wrong vaccine being given.

People should remember that the confusion w.r.t. ferrets and susceptability
to rabies (as well as incubation periods etc.) are due to the lack of
proven clinical evidence.  It *may* very well be that ferrets are *exactly*
the same as dogs or cats w.r.t. susceptability, incubation and effectiveness
of a rabies vaccine, but there's insufficient evidence for some official
body to sanction such information.  Rabies is such a nasty disease
(100% fatal in humans) that the responsible government agencies want iron-clad
100% guarantees regarding the efficaciousness of a vaccine before approving
it.  So, if anybody out there is thinking of "inventing" a "new" pet, you
may have to supply hundreds or even thousands to clinical trials before
a vaccine is approved.  ]

The *only* reason that I got them done is that I travel to and through
Canada quite a bit and whenever I have taken my dog or cat, the only
thing the border guard wanted to see was the rabies vaccine receipt.  I
thought it would be the same for my ferrrets.  I did not want to get them
into Canada and not be allowed to bring them home (a possibility if the
Canadian guard let me in and then I didn't have the receipt to get them back
past the US guard).  Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to bring
the ferrets along into Canada yet to test the laws.  Does anyone know if
the vaccine is  required or not (to get into Canada or into the US)?

[Asking Dept of Agriculture this is in my todo list.]

As to the "roaming" cats and dogs theory, Mitzi (my dog) and Muggs (my
cat) are never allowed outside without supervision either.  I had them
vaccinated because it's required by law.  You'd think with the number
of pet ferrets, there would be more of an interest in developing a suitable
vaccine.  Sigh.  Until then I'll just have to keep Cocoa, the nipper,
away from people we don't know really well.

Robbin