From:
Marci Kulik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 23:27:17 -0700
While the state of California is dead serious about keeping our little
darlings away, new travelers should be made aware of the fact that the
workers at the Agricultural checkpoints are really quite lackadaisiacal
about checking automobiles entering the state.  What happens is something
like this:

"Good Morning ... do you have any fresh fruits or vegetables in the car with
you today?  Any live plants?  Okay!  Thank you!  Enjoy your visit!"

We put our babies in a small cat carrier, and then covered it with luggage,
coats, a pillow and blanket - typical road-traveler paraphrenalia.  We made
sure that all plastic/paper grocery bags were visible IN THE FRONT, on the
floor.

Unless the inspector hears something (play your radio!), or sees the
carrier, they won't even bother you beyond a cursory glance into the vehicle.

BE FOREWARNED!  All campers, motorhomes, driveaways, etc., are asked to pull
over, and an officer WILL board the vehicle and check - unless its in the
middle of the night and cold outside.

Now, my babies have been known to be rather fruity at times and they are
definitely alive!  As for live plants, well, they won't allow such critters
- dirt is for digging, not growing. So, at the checkpoints -  I answered all
questions truthfully - I just didn't volunteer anything additional!

Most Californians do not realize there is a law forbidding ownership of
ferrets in California.  Once you're past the agri-checkpoints, no one will
bother you. (Just sneak them into motel rooms ... nobody will know the
difference!)

As for trying to find alternative routes into the state NOT enhanced by one
of these "oh-so-necessary"" checkpoints, they are FEW and far between, if at
all.

By the way - checkpoints are NOT at the state borders.  Coming from Las
Vegas, for instance, one does not encouter the checkpoint until BARSTOW -
170 miles into the state!

In case some of you are wondering why I would be so verbal about these
criminal activities, well, let me say - I am, otherwise a very ordinary,
law-abiding citizen.  But, this law is just plain DUMB.  And, when it comes
to DUMB, I catch a touch of anarchist's fever! ;)

And, as one who is quite experienced in this matter, may I say that (God
forbid!) should you get caught trying to smuggle your little treasures into
the state, you will be given the opportunity to turn around and go back from
where you came! (That's what we did the first time - all the way back to
Vegas!)  Shelters outside of CA are asked to pick up confiscated fuzzies  -
for instance, the shelters here in Phoenix are usually called to pick up
little ones confiscated in Needles ... so, if you DO have to turn around, go
to the nearest town - outside CA - and call the ferret shelter there.  They
will probably babysit for you ...

(Or call me!  My little BooBoo Bear would LOVE the company!  And, so would I!)

Love and Luck,

Marci and Moondancer aka Dani aka BooBoo.

           Reproducible Electronic Publishing can defeat censorship.