From:
"M. JOYT" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 22:30:26 -0000
Turn your ferret into an otter in just a few easy steps!  This will greatly
help with baths, and it is what I used to get Pepita used to the water.  It
took about five minutes before she loved the water and tried to swim!

This process worked for me with a young female ferret.  Results, like the
ferrets themselves, will vary, as will the time it takes to accomplish.

Without further ado, this is the procedure I used to acclimate my ferret
Pepita to the water:

1) This may sound bizarre, but the first thing you should do is purchase a
Playmobil 1-2-3 Fishing Boat (item 6714) -- BEFORE your ferret needs a bath.
This is a bath-time toy for human babies ages 1 1/2 to 3 years old.  It will
run you only $10-13 US.  It includes seven large floatable hard plastic
toys.  You may also want to purchase one or two ping-pong balls.

2) Let your ferret play with these toys out of the water, or at least see
them and get accustomed to them.  You may want to play with the toys
yourself, since ferrets are curious and will want to get in on the fun.

3) Fill the bathtub with 1-2" of room temperature water, leaving one side of
the bathtub water-free.  Most bathtubs are on a slope, leaving the side of
the bathtub where the fixtures are with more water.  This will allow your
ferret to be in or out of the water at its own leisure, yet still in the
bathtub.

4) Before putting the ferret in, get a large pan.  You may decide to add
water during the first excapade in the water if the ferret enjoys it.  But
it is poor judgement to add water directly from the tap, as the hissing may
scare the ferret.  It is better to put it in the pan using the sink fixture
so the ferret is not scared.

5) Put the toys in the bathtub, then put your ferret gently in the bathtub
where there isn't any water.  Let the ferret get into the water-filled side
of the tub at his or her own leisure.

After the swimming (if your ferret gets that far), put out towels on the
clean bathroom floor for the ferret to try off.  You probably won't even
want to try shampooing this first time.

Will this work for everyone?  Probably not, but I wanted to share it with
you.  Playmobil has a site on the internet.  You may also want to write them
at: Playmobil, 8031 North Military Trail, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-6362,
or phone 1-800-351-TOYS if you cannot find this item in your area.  Ask them
for their "Retailers Carrying Playmobil" booklet.  I do not own any stock or
work for them, it's just that these toys are safe (with supervision, don't
leave a ferret unattended in water!) and Pepita loves them.

***NOTE: If your bathtub is slippery, you may want to put something in the
bottom like a towel or something to give the ferret's feet something to grip
onto in the early stages, or even later on.***