From:
Candi Gerritson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 10:58:45 EDT
DOOKS ALL FMLers!  I wanted to ask if there are ANY IOWAN Ferts owners on
this list?

I also have an announcement to make, as you all know I did my first rescue
this year & had wonderful success at it.  I did all the leg work finding
a vet to work with me on health issues & costs.  So because of this & the
fact that Iowa has no ferret shelters that I am aware of or atleast in this
area.  I have decided to open my own ferret shelter.  I am starting small.
I have invested in 7 extra cages, have all the supplies & have been working
my savings account to accommodate medical care.  I have spoken with the
city determining licenses.  My plan is this... I am working this out of my
home, I have a large house.  My ferrets (5) are in the living room, the
two rescues are in another room at the other end of the house & a sick bay
room has been established.  I have applications on my computer & am making
arrangements this week to publish in the paper.  I am working this through
non profit & will charge for adoption depending on the ferrets situation.

I have decided to do this because the pet store that I rescued those two
ferrets from got another one in that someone had left for them to sell.
Now from what I could tell this ferret is healthy except needing to gain
some weight but I am appalled that they accepted another ferret when they
haven't even sold the three they have had for over a year, these three
ferrets get little attention except to get an occasional nail trimming or
bath (every 4 months or so) the cage is so dirty it smells, they feed them
a food that is not appropriate for ferrets.  No matter how many times I
speak with them they will not change things for these ferrets.  Oh the most
important thing about these three ferrets is that because of the lack of
attention they are VERY aggressive & bite to draw blood.  I saw a customer
get bit so bad by the female he may have needed medical attention.  She
grabbed & shook his hand & wouldn't let go until we sprayed water in her
face.  I was thinking LAWSUIT.  Anyway I want Iowans to know that SOMEONE
does care enough to find these animals the attention, love & health care
they need.  So if ANYONE has any advice or can inspire me further (don't
think that could happen) I would love to hear from you.  I am including my
name, address, email & phone #.

Thank you & any suggestions for a shelter name would be appreciated too!

Thanks Candi Gerritson

Candi Gerritson
2812 Arbor Street
Ames Iowa 50014