From:
suzi lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 01:28:15 -0700
Hello all,
Just wanted to thank everyone from the bottom of our fuzzy little
hearts for all of their help and advice during Ruby's recovery from
adrenalecetomy, pancreas nodules removed and messantery lymph node
biopsed.  Still waiting for biopsy.

I wish I could thank everyone personally, but I am unable too.  But I
want everyone who emailed me to know how much they helped and how very
much I appreciated it!  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

I was so scared and frustrated when she spiked a temp. and wouldn't eat
or drink.  And had a black tarry stool with teeth grinding.  Got her on
carafate and she improved.  It has been 11 days post op and she didn't
start to be better until at least 8 days post op.

It just goes to show you how all ferrets are different, my Chong was
eating and full of energy 2-3 days post op after her adrenal surgery.
So after many around the clock feedings, waterings, meds and sub q's,
she is almost back to her crazy and hyper self.  Thank God, after not
being able to sleep over 3 hours at a time for 9 days, I am so
gratefull!!  I really thought we were going to lose her.  Especially
when she was so lethargic, limp, and dehydrated.

Her kidney function tests were high (vet seems to think from
inflammation, infec. or dehydration) but now she is drinking well and no
longer tenting.  He said not to put her on a low protien diet yet.  But
we will re test kidney function tests soon along with many others labs.
The only weird/problem thing left, is the strange sore/bruise she got
after surgery.  It started out as a bruise, turned into a lump and then
kinda popped, and is a yellow draining abcess.  It is on her underneath
of her neck.It is big, almost an inch long and 1/4 inch deep.

My vet and I have no idea where it came from????  He never took blood
there. ????  I think (and this is only my opinion on it) that maybe with
all the meds and other stuff, she scratched herself on the neck, got a
cut, and when her immune system was down, she developed a infection???
Because when she is given meds, she will scratch at the syringe and hit
her neck over and over.  Have you ever seen a ferret "pray" when given
meds?  That is what she does.  She does that, and tries to knock the
syringe out of your hands.  She goes nuts when given any meds and
actually has scratched herself and made the allready established sore
worse.  So I have been trying to wrap her in a towel when giving her the
meds.  Has anyone had a ferret get a sore on the neck after surgery??

My vet is sooo good, I must of called him everyday and seen him 5 times
after surgery.  Dr Ness in Lisle IL, highly recommended!!  Very caring,
experienced and compasionate.  We have an appointment coming up for labs,
another checkup and possibble debridement of sore.

thank you again and if anyone has any insights or advice, please feel
free to email me.

love and dooks!!!
suzi and Ruby-Doobie

P.S I have silvadene to put on sore (topical antibiotic that eats the
yucky cells away) and she is now on clavamox.  Was on amoxi for post op
fever.  Any insights, advice, info or ideas still greatly appreciated!!!

thank you!!!  suzi