From:
reanee gladden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:16:30 +0000
I think we all have felt those feelings.  What if............?  What if I
had taken my Gizmo and Jasper into the vet to be put to sleep when they
asked me if I wanted to come right in?  I took a later appointment.
Thank heavens.  An hour before the appointment Jasper got up and walked
to the food bowl that had been untouched for two weeks.  I couldn't
believe my eyes.  Both had been doing horribly for two weeks.  I had
been giving them antibiotics, pedialyte and syringe feeding them.  I
still kept my vet appointment later that day.  I kept it to get an honest
opinion.  The boys came home with me.  The vet said he hoped he wouldn't
be seeing me in a week.  Gizmo I knew could go at any time, but he stayed
with me for a week and a half, He went peacefully here at home.  Jasper
is still here with me.  I don't know how much more time we have together.
I do know that if I had taken them in for that earlier appt. I would not
have had this extra time with them and would have shortened their lives.
Jasper getting up and eating an hour before the appt. was like a miracle
to me.  He wasn't ready and told me so at the last possible moment.

I am one that will put an animal to sleep only if they are in great pain
and lose the THAT look.  I always say you can do it , but not undo it.
Once done they are gone forever.  What if I made a wrong choice for them.
What if I wait too long and they suffer needlessly???

Knowing they are ill and their time is coming doesn't make it any easier.
I think we question every loss with "what if".

It is the people that don't give a rip, or don't try to do all they can
for their animals that should feel the quilt.  These are the ones that
never feel the quilt.  We love our ferrets as we would love out children.
They are precious lives to us.  As long as we feel that way we will
always ask ourselves what if.............

REANEE GLADDEN

"SQUEEZLES GALORE"
http://reaneelgladden.tripod.com/squeezlesgalore/