From:
"Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 13:36:45 +0000
Hi, everyone,

Every so often there is a round of Marshall Farms bashing on FML.  There
are a lot of things about Marshall Farms that *I* don't like, and I feel
really awkward defending them, but sometimes I feel I must.  If you make an
accusation about MF, how about some proof?  If you tell me the sell ferrets
to labs for scientific testing I know it's true because I've been shown
their ads to the scientific community.  However, so much that is either
unsubstantiated or utter hogwash gets spread here it is absolutely amazing.

Kate Coppolla, the self-described "most anti-MF person you are ever going
to meet" posted yesterday, mixing some very real facts with some things
that, at best, can't be proven.  From one Kate to another (OK, I spell it
Cait, but it's the same name), all I ask is that you cite references or
give some proof when you make accusations.  Here are, to me, so aggregious
examples:

>MF sells ferrets for fur.

Really?  Show me proof, because I think this one is just plain wrong.  What
is the commercial use for ferret fur?

>The reason is because MF ferrets are very inbred meaning the risk for many
>diseases runs higher in them.

Prove it.  Our vet, who is well known as a ferret vet nationally, will
dispute you.  He doesn't (by percentage) see more illness in Marshall Farms
ferrets than in others.  Small breeders, who have a smaller breeding stock,
actually inbreed a whole lot more than MF does, with some pretty awful
results.

Oh, and though it's anecdotal, for what it is worth: The two oldest ferrets
I have known (both lived to be 13 with out any major medical problems) were
MF babies.  I've also seen an 11 year old and a 10 year old from MF.  The
ferret who has had the most medical problems for me (well over $5,000 in
medical bills, mostly at age one and two) was from a smaller breeder.

Oh, and Path Valley will sell to anyone too.  Pay their price for a kit and
just see if they refuse your money and screen you in any way at all.

Oh, and finally, I may be in the minority here, but I am all for animal
testing for medical research.  If we can find a cure for cancer (I'm a
survivor; my father wasn't so lucky), or AIDS, or any other horrible
disease, I'll sacrifice as many ferrets as it takes, so long as they are
treated as humanely as possible under the circumstances.  I love my
ferrets, but I care about people more.

-Caity and the amazing eight
(Tenchi, Adric, Kerr Avon, Ryo-Ohki, and Lady Ayeka are from Marshall
 Farms)
(Pertwee and Romana are from Triple F)
(Nyssa was bred by Animals Exotique, who aren't breeding ferrets any more)