From:
Sonya Grable <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 02:20:29 GMT
Hello All,

To everyone that has suffered a recent loss: I am very sorry.  I am so
behind on FMLs, and apologize for not yet being able to write.  I extend
my heartfelt sympathies and condolences to each and every one.

NOW: I've had an on-going and ever-evolving problem with Girlie for over a
month now.  She goes for an ultrasound tomorrow.  I'm scared because her
symptoms seem to be more along the lines of Renny's (who I lost in Sept.
and will never know *for certain* why).  Some of them seem to be occurring
in the same order, too.  BTW, Girlie is the little deaf DEW that I
'rescued' from a pet store in November, who was going to be put down
because of a biting problem (and was giving kisses on the lips a whole
eight days later).

HERE GOES: First, she started with what I call itching fits, not the usual
itching thing.  Next, she started having odd, inconsistent stools that
pretty-much ran the gamut regarding color, texture, size, etc.  Never gross
or awful smelling though.  I put her on Amoxi, and after a few days of no
real change, took her in.  She was also less playful and energetic,
especially as time went on, sometimes to the point of being lethargic.  I
put her on chicken baby food, Nutrical, Ensure, A/D, etc.  from the start.
Oh, and electrolytes, too.  Her vet took her off the Amoxi and placed her
on a sulfa a/b, similar to Bactrim.  No noticeable change, so was placed
on Baytril.  She was also having funny breathing, not consistently though,
which got really bad while on the sulfa a/b.  It was much improved after
about two days off of this a/b.  *I* think the a/b caused it to worsen.
The breathing noises have run the gamut also, but seem to be a little
better now, although the other day she sounded hoarse a couple of times.
Some sounds awhile back were frightening though.  Mostly it sounds like
what I'd imagine a piece of hair stuck to the side of her throat would.
I'd load her up with hairball remedy each time.  She's had a bit of clear
fluid in her nostrils, sometimes dripping.  She's been on Pred since the
sulfa a/b and her last, tapered dose is Sat.  I suspected stomach problems
even though her vet didn't, since she never actually grinded her teeth,
but he finally prescribed Carafate.  Later I convinced him to prescribe
Metronidazole, too.  He wouldn't go for adding any Amoxi, because he
doesn't want to, "throw the pharmacy at her." The Carafate along with
Pepcid, and now Pepto helped.  I took her off of the Carafate late last
week though, because it was badly constipating her.

What I'm so concerned and worried about is that in the beginning, her hind
feet and tail would swell up, and later return to normal.  That went away,
but has returned.  Her neck and maybe the lymph nodes there are swelling
now.  Nothing... whether Pred, food, antibiotic or whatever, seems to have
any effect on this.  It is worse today, as is her lack of interest and
activity.  Before, she'd be swollen in the morning, I'd let her out for the
day, and within ten to fifteen minutes she would no longer be swollen, and
*not* because she had pooped or peed, either.  The vet finally saw/felt the
swelling on Tuesday.  He said her abdomen was not only bloated but swollen,
too.  She's also gained enough weight in a short enough period, as to have
him concerned about it.  Today she has been and still is bloated/swollen,
even above and directly under her front legs, like in her armpit/chest
area.  And over the past week or so, her ribcage sometimes feels tight
and enlarged.  The skin over the area is tight, rather than loose.  It's
difficult to scruff her for meds because of the swelling.  At times it's
difficult to distinguish the difference between her hind legs and her
lower abdomen because she's so bloated/swollen.  ALL of her symptoms are
intermittent, nothing is consistent.  Her stools are better though, mostly
medium brown with a still warm, pudding-like consistency and texture.  A
barium was done two weeks ago, and other than being slow to leave the
bottom of her stomach, turned out o.k.  except for a very strong *MAYBE*
regarding a possible 'soft' blockage.

I just know I've forgotten something here, but think I've hit upon the
major things.  I also know I'm sort of putting the horse before the cart,
but am really, really worried.  Up until now, the vet suspected gas.  Now
he more strongly suspects heart, circulatory, or even lymphoma.  Blood work
about a month ago looked o.k. as per her vet.  Some things were low, but
acceptable to him (he is ferret knowledgeable).  He's not heard anything to
*strongly* suggest a heart problem, but... she is DEFINITELY GETTING WORSE
and RATHER QUICKLY, especially today, ALL day.  Next option is exploratory,
AND I don't have ANY problem admitting that that scares the heck out of me
after what Ren went through, and for absolutely nothing!!

Someone here on the FML, (TLE), has been soooo unbelievably helpful and
supportive with all of my ferret woes (thanks again, soooo very much), but
I wanted to post this in case someone, anyone, has had this experience or
even similar.  I apologize for it not being better composed, but neither
am I right now.

Thanks in advance... and it may be a while before I get back to anyone that
may respond.  Plus, I'll probably see it much sooner if sent directly,
since I am still soooo behind on my FMLs.