From:
Nancy Busso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2011 20:12:29 EST
I was woken at 3 AM by a phone call from a friend who first heard the
sirens screaming. Directly behind our property is Bradley Lake and
over the dunes from the lake is the ocean. It is not very far away and
we can always hear the ocean. I woke my daughters. We have 19 ferrets,
19 cats, 4 dogs, 2 Guinea pigs, 4 rats, 1 mouse and a box turtle.
Decisions had to be made, terrible decisions. The ferrets were all
going crazy in their cages sensing something. I told my 5 teen
daughters to leave. I decided to stay with the animals but my 9 year
old grandson called from Seattle and begged me to leave too. I won't go
into what decisions we made because I know some will criticize me. What
I will say is that we need to be more prepared for a tsunami than we
were, MUCH more prepared. We were VERY lucky, it was low tide. The town
of Brookings just below us was not. Their harbor, marina and wharfs
were detroyed, boats sunk or washed away. There are reports of 1 death
(trying to save his boat), 1 missing (trying to take photos) and 4
people rescued at Pistol River. My last 2 ferrets are from Crescent
City, CA, where 11 people were killed in 1964 from a tsunami, and they
also had damage. Poor Japan. It is heartbreaking to watch the news.
They didn't have tiime to make terrible decisions.

Nancy, mentally and physically exhausted