From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 23:29:44 -0400
>Just got home with Emma, my new rescue.  She is indeed in heat.  That
>was the best of the things it could have been.  Doc stimulated her to
>ovulate.  He said her vulva should shrink within a week or so and then we
>can spay her.  There are no signs of pregnancy.  She appears quite young
>and he thinks this may be her first heat.

Dear XXXXXXXX-

Actually, if she is not anemic, you could spay her today.  There is no
reason that a ferret needs to be taken out of heat prior to a spay,
unless she is significantly anemic.

The difference between spaying a ferret in heat and one who is not in heat
is minimal in terms of bleeding.  If the blood-work is okay - I'd just go
ahead and spay her now.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at