From:
Judie Carr Bruno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 19:51:06 -0500
First I'd like to thank the person or persons who handle all the mail for
this mailing list.  I've only been with you for two days and it's been
wonderful reading all the mail.

I've only been on-line a little over a week and still trying to find my way
around.  It's going to be a blast.

I live in San Diego, Calif.  and although I've kept up with the legal hassle
about getting the sweet babies legal here I don't know all the facts or what
I can do to help.

I don't have a ferret now and three years ago I married and am helping to
raise a 15 years old stepson.  I think it's important to show kids to obey
the law not only just when you want to but all the time, so I have been
putting off getting another ferret.

In 1986 I drive to Arizona on a band gig and took the oppertunity to by a
ferret.  He was so cut as I picked up three or four He opened his mouth and
lightly bit my nose it was love at first sight.  While in town I took him to
the Vet recommended for his first shots and checkup.  He was already
nutered.

A friend and I built a three story-one bedroom-one bath ferret condo.  I
lived in my art studio and it was a perfect place for him to live.  I named
him Frank Burns (ferret face from M.A.S.H).  We had a rutine that he seemed
to love.  I would get up in the am, let Frank out, drink some coffee and
then take a shower.  While I was doing that Frank was snooping out all his
favorite places and would hit the shower the same time I did.  He would take
a shower with me.  (once every few days I would soap him up) I'd then towel
him off and get ready for work.  Frank and my dog Jenny would play until it
was time for her to go outside to do her stuff.

When Frank was about 6 years old as I went looking for him to put him back
into his home I just couldn't find him anywhere.  He always came when I made
a kissing noise, (I trained him early on that when he came he got a raison,
I came in handy at times.  Once when I had the two pets at the vet, the Vet
told me to put Frank down while he examined Jenny, not remembering that
under his sink was a whole big enough for any ferret.  When Frank went into
the whole the vet said we would never get him out.  All I did was make a
kissing noise and he came right away)

Anyway I looked and looked and was getting real scared.  As I walked by I
happened to pick up a mailing tube that was leaning against Franks cage and
felt weight and the bottom.  My heart just stopped.  As I turned the tube
over out slipped Frank, he had gone down head first and looked as if he was
gone.  I gave him mouth to mouth and kept shaking him and he finally woke
up.  I called my Vet and He said I had one on him he had never given mouth
to mouth to a ferret.  I asked him about brain damage but he said we'd just
have to wait and see.

Frank seemed find after that, He slept all day but the next was back to his
old routine.  About three months latter Frank suffered what we thing was a
stroke.  He started to lose his hair and then started to have mini strokes a
lot.  I finally put him down because he was so pitiful and I was afraid he
was in pain.

I have missed him still and would like to get another as soon as the laws
are change.  Can someone bring me up to speed on the ferret laws in Calif.

Thanks again

Judie