From:
reagan rodney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:06:52 -0400
One of our little girls, Temper, had surgery to remove her left adrenal
almost a year ago.  She slowed slight improvement, and then started to
aggressively lose her hair again.  So.... we started her on Lupron 4 mths
ago.  My vet isn't as familiar with it being used in ferrets, so we both
learned about it before hand by asking questions, researching the i-net,
etc.  I think that he started her on 200micrograms.  On her last dose,
since we weren't seeing any improvement (hair loss was actually worse)
I asked him to increase to 250 micrograms, which took up the last of
what we ordered.  He said that 250 was almost the maximum dose, and that
since it wasn't a drug that could be counteracted, it was dangerous to
overdose.  He suggested that I research some other drugs that inhibited
in the same way (I don't have them in front of me, but I think that one
started with an "A").  But, I've never heard of anything but Lupron being
used for adrenal problems in ferrets.  What are we doing wrong?  I always
hear about how well Lupron works, and I want to order another batch, but
I need to know what we are doing wrong so that I can tell my vet.

Thanks!
Reagan