Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 12:07:27 -0700
I have recently... very recently... been adopted by a stray cat that has
been roaming about the apartment complex I just moved into for some time.

I have three ferrets.  Aged 8, 3, and 2.

After giving the new feline, Azrael, a chance to get acquainted with the
apartment for about 24 hours (the ferrets are in my bedroom with the door
shut in the meantime and I vacuumed and Febreze'd away as much of their fur
and scent as possible) I allowed each of my ferrets some sniffing time
with Azrael.  I held the ferrets and left Azrael on her own, confident if
anything should happen I can just snatch the ferret away and that will be
that and probably be clawed myself instead of the ferret nestled carefully
in my arms.

So.  It seemed to go well.  The three year old (Trill) was a little shaky
but curious and the two year old (Rune) was nervous but more inquisitive
than Trill.  The cat on the other hand did not seem as impressed.  It was
hard to tell if she was sizing them up to maybe have them for snack (she's
been an outdoor cat for sometime after all and it wouldnt surprise me if
she sees furry little critters as food) or whether she was just not
interested.

After that long prologue, my question is this: Does anyone have any
suggestions whatsoever about how to carefully introduce these four lives to
each other so that we can work on restoring some level of harmony around
here and so I can sleep soundly without having to be half awake with my
ears twitching for screams..?

Oh.  The ferrets are caged unless I'm home, and the cat has free run of
everything but the bedroom where I usually do not let my ferrets go either
for the sake of my mild allergies.  Just makes things easier.  Not to
mention when I do let them in they have a blast running about and dook like
crazy!

Thanks!
Dave Welch
Rune "dookdook!"
Trill the Pounce Thief
Ceridwen "Don't mess with me" the Elder
and Azrael the most beautiful and well mannered cat I have ever seen.