From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 1994 15:21:11 -0500
To Jon concerning Zappa

        I guess I don't have to tell you that neurological problems in a young
animal such as this are highly unusual.  Without a lot of diagnostic work, it is
very difficult to tell what is causing it.  Trauma, neoplasms affecting the
spinal cord or the nerve plexes innervating the front limbs, even a congenital
skeletal defect can all cause these signs.

        I think trying to figure out which is the most likely is probably
counterproductive, and probably you should wait out a course of therapy before
you make any decisions.  Give your vet a chance to make a difference before you
opt for euthanizing this ferret - as long as there isn't any pain or suffering
involved, let's give him every chance possible.

        To Arthur Grondine concerning rabies shots -

        ARt, I'm not quite sure which rabies shots you are referring to - would
that be the human vaccination to lessen the chance of contracting rabies
(usually only animal care workers get this one) or the shots that you get after
you get bitten.  I will assume the latter.

        The old regimen of 21 shots in the abdominal muscles has been gone for
years.  Now there is a five shot regimen which can be taken in the arm.  The
reason that they are painful is that each is a healthy dose of immunoglobulins -
a thick, viscous fluid in a large dose.  It is a very bulky shot to have to
take.  I'm not sure how much they cost on the current market, though.

        As far as efficacy, it varies with each case - who was bitten (child vs.
adult), where, how many times, etc.  The big problem with the shots is that
people who take them run a high risk of serum sickness, which is a potentially
fatal reaction to impurities in the serum that cannot be removed by ordinary
means.  A certain percentage of people will get sick from the shots.  This is
why most doctors will do just about anyhting rather than administer these
injections.   It is most akin to a severe allergic reaction.

To Nancy Hartman concerning Bree:

        Congratulations on a successful surgery.  I will probably be seeing
Bree's tissues in a few days - Tom is very good about sending all of the cases.
I wouldn't get upset about an elevated lymphocyte count on Percy just yet - Tom
and I have a difference of opinion on the cause of this change in older animals
- and we often spend a good deal of time ribbing each other about this. But he's
a good surgeon and a good friend at any rate.

        Based on your recounting of your experience, I think you and my wife
have an awful lot in common....

Bruce Williams, DVM