From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:36:23 -0400
In humans some of the complications from shiga toxins actually increase
with the use of antibiotics, and the primary treatment for this disease
which kills many who get it and leaves many others with permanent
damage is HYDRATION, HYDRATION AND MORE HYDRATION. IV is the ferrets'
dear friend. So are sub-cu fluids. So is loads and loads and loads of
drinking water. (Yes, I did a lot of reading today and expect to do
more.)

I do not know if meds like Procrit or Epogen could help at all, nor if
things that are used as gentle clot promotors in humans (like vitamin
K) may be of help. Ask the treating vet.

BTW, grapeseed reduces clotting in a related member of Carnivora so may
be a bad choice for that reason and well as the aforementioned concern:
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/132/12/3592

Here is a FREE JOURNAL ARTICLE ON THE TYPES OF HEMOLYTIC E.COLI FOUND
IN FERRETS:

http://jcm.asm.org/cgi/content/full/42/12/5904?view=long&pmid=15583337
also found at http://jcm.asm.org/cgi/reprint/42/12/5904 and
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC535218/?tool=pubmed

Kidney woes in ferrets even when shiga toxin problems are survived:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11865409

Deaths in BFFs from E. coli:
http://www.jwildlifedis.org/cgi/reprint/37/3/617

Bleach all litter pots and then dry them throughly.

Basically, I am afraid that you are up against something likely to take
a high toll and beyond hydration there is little that you can do which
has proven benefits when cases are looked at in general if this is
really what is going on. I'm so very, very sorry to not have better
news for you.

Now, there normally are typical E. coli strains to be found in ferrets,
so it pays to have one of the best labs look at specimens because there
are some species sizes of coccidia (which also cause potentially fatal
intestinal bleeding) that too many labs just don't look for (and I do
know of homes and shelters with many ferrets lost because of the
failure of other labs to look for the smaller types of coccidia).

Recommended:
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/
or this one:
http://www.zoopath.com/

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YPG590

On a magnification too many labs and vet hospitals do NOT use for
ferrets:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL9021

More of coccidia:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL9527