From:
"Karen Purcell, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 19:19:44 +0000
Scott (and other interested folk),

To the best of my knowledge, Toxoplasmosis (which is what your doctor is
concerned about re:cats) is not spread by ferrets.  Furthermore, if you
clean the litter boxes daily, the eggs never reach the infective stage.
Appropriate hygienic precautions and sanitation (where gloves and wash your
hands after) and a pregnant woman can change the cat box, too.

Female vets have to stay up on this stuff, ot the ob/gyn types tell us we
can't work!!

-Dr. Karen

[Moderator's note: While rare (probably toxic warfare from the FDI) there
*have* been reports of toxoplasmosis in ferrets.   Dr. Williams discusses
this a bit more in issue 1281.  If I were pregnant...oh, never mind, that
won't work...  BIG]