From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 1997 16:08:45 -0400
from me:
>Until there are none in the shelter system, don't buy, but adopt one.

From Killian:
>Does this mean you are no longer breeding?  And as such all the rest of the
>world should stop as well?  Just want to understand the new rules.  They
>seem to change a lot.

and from Killian in another post:
>The hope is that a private breeder will discuss completely all the
>ramifications of adopting the kit and make it impossible to be just an
>impulse buy.

As to my breeding, I explained that in my last full post if you will go back
and re-read it.  Your second post above answers what I refer to in my
original statement.  Let me clairfy what I meant:

Until there are none in the shelter system, don't buy from a pet shop, but
adopt one from a reliable ferret source.

Most small breeders do "adopt" their kits out, with a promise to "take back"
any ferret if it can no longer be kept by the person adopting it.  Most
small breeders have the philosophy that they will take responsibility for
any lives they bring into this world.  If you interview a breeder who is
more interested in getting a fee than the care their ferret receives after
it goes to it's new home, then look for another breeder (or shelter).  Who
knows what went into the breeding process if they don't care about the rest
of the ferret's life?

IMHO,  Pam