From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 02:49:53 -0700
To Anthony Sena:
>My question is this.  Considering my ferret's age (6), is surgery too risky?
>what are his chances of recovery?  Will surgery prolong his life as
>compared to letting the disease run its course?

        Six years of age is definitely not too old for adrenal surgery,
provided your vet has some experience in working witht hte older ferret.  I
have had two ferrets operated on at 6 or older.  It does markedly improve
the quality of life.  I have numerous owners report a marked increase in the
activity of their pet following adrenal surgery.  Wile they may not have
noticed a gradual slowdown of their pet prior to the surgery, they sure
notice the renewed vigor after the surgery.  Now I can't guarantee a longer
lifespan overall, but we do know that animals with adrenal disease do lose
muscle mass, may become anemic, and have other problems that most likely
will decrease their normal likespan considerably.  In my mind, the surgery
is definitely the way to go.  No one who loves their pet wants to stand by
and see the "disease take its course", especially when the surgery can make
a marked improvement in quality of life in so many cases.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath