From:
Laurie Murchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 20:13:08 -0200
Hi, Gary -

Thanks SOOOOO much for your message.  The vet called this morning to let me
know how she was doing and said she had a spiked temperature.  So I'm
leaving her there the rest of the weekend (have no choice, really - they're
not open tomorrow and I'd rather she stabilize before I bring her home).  My
roommate, Debbie, and her kids, Cindy and Paul, went with me to see her last
night and I broke down because she's always been the Hob Buster, the
rabble-rousin' Leader of the Pack (as Debbie dubbed her).  the one always
whaling the hell out of Slinky and to a lesser extent, Spaghetti, and to see
her just lying there with an IV in her foreleg, almost totally inert and not
interested in much of anything was just too overwhelming...I don't cry that
easily, but the tears just gushed out in a flood.  I stroked, kissed and
sobbed to her that she'd be fine, that she had to come home because Spaggy
was beating up Slinky in her honor and she couldn't let him have ALL the
fun.  Then I held her and eventually so did Debbie and her kids (who are
both good with ferrets).  I think she tried to kiss me at one point, but she
was just too weak.  It was heartbreaking (I know - you hear stories like
this all the time plus you've been there, done that, felt the pain...don't
mean to unload like this, but, gad, it hurts....) She wasn't totally
listless; she managed to get up and urinate in the corner of her kennel and
seemed to perk up slightly at times when one of us was holding her, but, oh,
the anguish of seeing her like that....Sorry...I'll shut up now.

Anyway, she'll be in a separate cage when she comes home because the vet
said we need to be able to monitor her intake and output and I'm going to
buy a set of scales so that we can monitor her weight.  All of this costs
money, lots of it, and it's a good thing I have two jobs and no life.....Is
she worth it? If the same plight befalls The Moondancer and/or Spags, are
they worth it?
EVERY ATOM OF EVERY PENNY OF WHATEVER IT TAKES........

I'm also going to send this to the FML and FFML to keep people updated.
I've read all about other people and their health problems with their ferts
and have hurt for them, but nothing in comparison to my compassion (and
passion for ferret rights) now since it's my turn to experience what so many
already have....and learn from it.....

I thought I loved my ferretkind before, but...oh, gad, Gary, give each of
your rugrats a hug and a kiss from me.

Thanks for the info.

Gotta go wipe my streaming eyes....

Slinky's Domesticated Human,

           The Boss

           Managed by

        ** drum roll, please **

        The Terrorist Triumvirate

Slinky The  Moondancer:      "Dogs and cats, no doubt, are cool..."
Spahetti the JoyBouncer:      "But s/he who loves ferts is no one's fool..."
Nala the Hob Buster:            "So face it, humans - FERRETS RULE!"

[Moderator's note: Gary posted something similar (but longer) which I
ended up not including, so I hope I have his implied permission to post
this.  BIG]