From:
Bill & Laura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:04:18 -0600
I'm so sorry to hear that you have come up positive with ADV, but
sometimes knowing is better than having your whole crew mysteriously
pass on you.  Hopefully some of the following will be helpful.

I would ask the pet photographer to wash all the props in a 10% bleach
solution or with a parvocide (if they are concerned about cleanliness
probably would have done this anyway) that should kill the virus.

There is no way to know if you have passed ADV to anyone in the past,
but an easy way to prevent spreading is to always quickly mist your hands
and clothes with a parvocide.  (We use A33-Dri).  We do this whenever
we're awaiting a ferret's results before they can officially come into
the ferret room.  It isn't smelly, invasive, sticky, and won't bother
sensitive skin.  I have also noticed that I don't get as many colds in
the winter ;) a lucky side of the situation.  Spraying the bottoms of
your shoes is also a pretty good idea too.  Shampooing the carpet with
some of that same veterinarian grade parvocide can help you with the
room/house crisis and washing down walls with it works well too.  Dunk,
mist, and wipe everything -- the stuff is very, very, strong and
effective.

You can purchase A33-Dri at http://www.revivalanimal.com
and you get enough packages to make 100+ gallons for only $20 or so.
It is a shelter's dream.  For those of you who don't have ADV in your
household, use Parvocide sparingly as bacteria can become resist by
mutation at any time and in almost any environment.

Also if any of you are hesitant to test your own ferrets for ADV, I have
created and put a trifold ADV brochure you can view, print, or distribute
for free online.  It outlines what you need to do to ADV test at home.
http://www.emmettferret.org/media/ADV_trifold_brochure.pdf

A printable form to mail in to United vaccine is located here:
http://www.emmettferret.org/ADV.pdf

Good luck and I wish you the best.
Laura Baran
Emmett Ferret Shelter