From:
California Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 22:08:19 -0400
>>Bill, we know there's F&G people on the list...the question is, do you
>>know of or even suspect that there's been *busts* by DFG based on info
>>they got from the FML?
>>
>[Moderator's note: No, I really don't suspect there's been any problem.

Although to our knowledge the FML has never been used as a source to 'bust'
a ferret owner in CA, this should definately be an area to be addressed by
ALL people in FFZs.

Now after that mouthful, let me say........ if you are in a FFZ use common
sense, the FML offers anonymous postings.......... USE IT.  Don't mention
your full name or address in a post.

In order for F&G or AG in CA to use this information they would have to
obtain a search warrant for the home/location involved.  To our knowledge
there has been 1 ONE search warrant issued to confiscate ferrets in CA in
the last 5 years.  (disgruntled pet store employee turned the boss in for
'breeding ferrets'.  A 5 hour search of her 1 bedroom apartment turned up 1
neutered male.  I think the former employee needs a biology lesson) but I
drift...........

99% of the ferrets confiscated in CA are through, an ex seeking revenge and
the owner not being aware the search warrant is needed, admits to owning
when animal control/F&G knock on the door.  Or........ a drug bust/gun bust,
and the animals are found in addition to the other items for that search
warrant.  People foolishly taking them out for walks on leashes, to the
park, to the grocery stores, etc.  People allowing them to roam free in the
car when going through an AG station.  And to me one of the worst, a side
effect of that 911 call for an emergency in the home.......

Yes, F&G has been known to be absolutely ruthless.......... staking out
homes, harrassing individuals (I've had them at my door 2x and on my phone
once), following people home, etc.  But unless they see them in your
possession (in your home, car, etc) or have a witness that will testify and
the judge signs the search warrant chances are pretty good you won't get
nailed.

If you post under the anonymous heading on the FML and don't include your
name, address, and phone number in the post, then BIG I am positive would
require a duly signed and processed search warrant to get that information
from him.  I doubt a judge is going to take the time for that one, it's a
misdemeanor and BIG is in NY which means crossing state lines for a state
related issue.

I am NOT writing this to encourage ownership of ferrets in CA..............
Ferrets are still illegal in this state and are IN DANGER (remember they
like window sills.....).  I am writing this to perhaps give some relief to
the fear we all live in constantly (I no longer own personal ferrets, the
second visit told me to ship them out for safety so I did).  Yes, we need to
be careful, but not paranoid.  If we become paranoid again and go back to
hiding in the closet then F&G wins because we won't be able to fight for
legalization.

Please folks (oh sorry, I'm not supposed to call a group of individuals
that)........ please ferret people, use common sense and you should be
OK........ but DON'T bring any more ferrets into this state until we're
legal............ When we are legal I will personally stand at the border
and welcome ferrets into this state.  And I will be the first one to go get
some as I miss mine terribly.  The rescues that come through help, but they
aren't mine and they don't get to stay.  Enough self-pity.....

Know your rights as a ferret owner.............. KNOW that a search warrant
is REQUIRED to enter your home, and it must be signed by a judge.  Know that
leaving your door unlocked is inviting someone, even animal control to enter
your home WITHOUT that search warrant.  KNOW that when you go to the vet,
cover your carrier, drive carefully (for Pete's sake don't run that stop
sign this time), Know to keep them off window sills and off porches.  And
KNOW that if you and the Significant Other decide to part company he/she may
decide to seek revenge at the cost of your fuzzies, so get them out of the
state for their safety.  Know that if that neighbor you had in your home
last week for coffee doesn't like the way you keep your yard and you and
he/she get into a dispute, if they saw furballs in your home, they may turn
them in.

CDFA1