Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2011 07:54:26 -0400
ferret farm. Below is the moderator's response on the Ferret Health
List. [Reposted with permission. BIG]

[There were two reports - that of the investigator and that of
the veterinarian who viewed the videotapes - please don't conflate
the two, it causes confusion and leads to misinformation.

"Looked as if" is not the same as actually is. In fact, there are a
number of diseases of the eyes that can cause the eyeball to rupture.
And certainly any kind of puncture wound could do that, and a severe
enough infection could feasibly do that as well. Abscesses do rupture,
an abscess in the eye could have ruptured.

It is common practice for large scale ferret farms to use technicians
or trained individuals to perform those procedures. I would hope that
they are overseen by a vet, however, the people performing the
procedures are not veterinarians themselves.

It is perfectly possible that a dull razor blade was used over and over
again. As long as it cuts through tissue it can be used. Razor blades
for shaving are not thrown away the first time they are used. The issue
is that it should not have been used for obvious health and ethical
reasons.

There are 10 barns, and I believe the report/s stated that there were
areas where the ambiant temperatures were high. And I suspect the
ferrets in those areas may not have survived.

Sometimes we hear about things that are so horrific the mind has
difficulty accepting the reality. - Moderator (TD)]